Bits & Bytes
This project began as a weekly email series but was modified to a once-monthly bulletin. It’s intended to inspire subscribers into taking action in their communities and to subtly inform readers about what civic engagement can look like.
I designed the header, draft the messaging, find the items of note, and create it in the email program Action Kit.
Friend, Utah needs you! Please take a moment to contact your representative about HB 203, a bill that would allow county clerks to send mail ballots to voters one week earlier and give voters an extra day to turn in their ballot.
This bill is stuck in the House Rules Committee, and we need you to step in and ask your representative to support it. We have a tool with talking points laid out for you; all you need to do is fill it out and add why you care about increasing voter turnout. Click here to send your message of support right now.
Civic Engagement Coordinator
Here are 8 more ways to take action this week:
- EVENT: International Womxn’s Day is March 8th, but we believe in celebrating and supporting all women every day! Join this virtual event for a Womxn’s Day on the Hill Mon., Feb. 22 at 10 a.m. Sign up here.
- EVENT: “What It’s Like to Run for Office”, part of the Real Women Run Winter Webinar Series. Wed., Feb. 24 at noon. This lively session will feature a panel of dynamic women who have run for local office –they will share their experiences and lessons learned and offer tips for success. Register here.
- EVENT: The Utah Black Chamber presents: The ICONS Speak, Wed., Feb. 24 at 2 p.m. A conversation about leadership, advocacy, and the continued fight for civil rights featuring Joan Trumpauer Mulholland and Joanne Bland, moderated by Nikki Walker, Director of Brand Experience and Community Engagement. Learn more and register here.
- EVENT: Living Room Conversations is an organization providing an easy structure for engaging in friendly yet meaningful conversation with those with whom we may not agree. On Thurs., Feb. 25 at 6 p.m., in this Living Room Conversation LIVE, they will explore the complexities of the concepts of race, ethnicity, and their impacts on people from all walks of life. Learn more and register here.
- TAKE ACTION: HB 302 would ban transgender girls in K-12 from participating in school sports. This is a harsh, discriminatory bill that violates national LGBTQ protections and goes against Utah’s values of equity, diversity, and inclusion. Click here to make your voice heard on this issue today.
- LEARN: More about transgender issues: From the ACLU Four Myths about Trans Athletes Debunked. This resource from the Trans Youth Equality Foundation has information to help you understand the terminology around transgender issues, the challenges facing transgender students, and how to navigate the legal system if you have a transgender child.
- WATCH: Black History in Two Minutes (or so). It’s a fast, accurate summary of U.S. history available in free recordings which describe major historical events and introducing less well-known experiences involving Black Americans. Watch on YouTube.
- DONATE: You may have heard about the increase of hate crimes targeting Asian Americans. One effective way to take action is by donating money. Click here for a guide to supporting Asian, South Asian, and Pacific Islander communities around the country.